- 1 box devil’s food cake mix
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
Filling and Frosting
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
- 1 container (1lb) rich and creamy chocolate frosting
- Chocolate bar and kisses (optional)
1. In 1-quart saucepan, heat whipping cream over medium high heat until hot not boiling. Stir in chocolate chips until melted and mixture is smooth. Refrigerate about 1 hour,stirring occasionally, until thick.
2. Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, oil, and eggs with electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds. Then beat on medium for 2 minutes.
3. Pour cake batter into two lightly greased 8 inch round pans and follow baking directions on back of the cake box. Once the cake is done, remove cakes from pans and allow to cool completely.
4. Use a long serrated edge knife, or some other cutting utensil, to cut each 8 inch cake round horizontally into 2 equal layers. You will now have 4 cake layers.
5. Place one layer of cake on your cake stand and cover with 1/3 of the melted chocolate that is cooling in your fridge. Repeat twice for the 2nd and 3d layers. Note: Depending on the temperature of the chocolate, a certain amount may be absorbed into the cake. Place the 4th layer onto of the 3rd. Spread the icing evenly on the top layer of the cake and around the sides.
- Use a cake decorating triangle that has scalloped edges on the side of the cake to create a pattern like the one in my picture
- Grate a chocolate bar and sprinkle the shavings on the top of the cake
- Decorate the top with chocolate kisses
Recipe CREATED BY ME but inspired by BETTY CROCKER® COOKBOOKS #260 BEST CUPCAKES & CAKES MARCH/APRIL 2011 MOLTEN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES