I’m not a huge sweets fan, but I LOVE this carrot cake recipe. There’s just something about the combination of cream cheese frosting and carrot cake that is oh so delicious. I’ve cut back on the amount of oil and sugar used in traditional carrot cakes (you won’t miss it, I promise!) so there is less guilt when you go back for seconds, and you will. I also don’t believe in adding raisins or nuts or any other funny business to carrot cake. I think additions like those ruin the cake. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do. It’s always a big hit at parties and work events.
- 3 c finely shredded carrots
- 2 c flour
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp allspice
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 3/4 c vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened *
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
* Note: If you use 2 8 x 8 round cake pans and cut each layer in half to form 4 total layers, you’ll need 24 oz of cream cheese instead of 16. That’s how I usually make my cakes.
1. Preheat oven to 350. PAM a rectangular 9 x 13 or 2 8 x 8 round cake pans.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, ground ginger, ground cloves, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl and stir until the spices are evenly distributed. Stir in the carrots.
3. In a small bowl, scramble the eggs. Add the eggs and oil to the dry mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth wet. The batter will be thick, don’t worry, it will rise in the oven.
4. Pour into the cake pan and back 20-25 minutes for the rectangular pan or bake for 30-35 minutes for the 2 rounds. Cool before frosting.
5. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and vanilla and blend until smooth. Slowly add the powdered sugar and blend until smooth. Spread the frosting evenly between layers and over cake.
Serve immediately or refrigerate before serving. Refrigerate left-overs.
Note: If anyone would like to know how I piped the carrots onto the cake, let me know and I’ll be happy to include instructions.
Recipe created by Me! : D