- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lbs chicken breasts
- 8 – 16 oz raw baby bella mushrooms, chopped (how much do you like mushrooms?)
- 3 oz reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 can chicken stock
- 1 tbsp ground thyme, divided
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
1. In a large skillet, add the cream cheese and stir over medium heat until melted. Starting with 1 tbsp, slowly add the chicken stock to the melted cream cheese. Each time you add chicken stock, use a whisk to thoroughly integrate it into the cream cheese.
2. Once all of the chicken stock has been added to the cream cheese, add the chopped mushrooms to the sauce. Stir in half the salt and ground thyme. Reduce heat to low and let the mixture cook covered for 10 minutes.
3. While the sauce is cooking, pierce the shell of the spaghetti squash several times. Place on a microwaveable plate and microwave for 12 minutes. Remove from the microwave and let cool on the plate for 5 minutes. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise – from tip to tip – and use a fork to remove the seeds and tough center parts. Once seeds are removed, drag a fork down through the flesh of the squash. Repeat until you have shredded the both halves – you should have quite a large pile of squash.
4. While the sauce is thickening * and the spaghetti squash is cooking, remove all visible fat from the chicken breasts then cut into small pieces, no larger than the size of your thumb nail. Add the chicken to a medium skillet. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and ground thyme. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once the chicken is thoroughly cooked but not browned. If there is liquid in the skillet with the chicken, drain it.
5. Once all liquid has been removed, add the chicken to the sauce mixture. Stir until the chicken is coated in the sauce. In a large stock pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the shredded spaghetti squash and sprinkle with salt. Using a spaghetti spoon, stir the spaghetti squash. Add the sauce mixture to the spaghetti squash pot and stir. Voila!
I sprinkled chopped parsley and shredded parmesan cheese on top – was delicious!
* If your sauce does not thicken properly: in a small shaker jar, mix 1/4 c water and 1 tsp cornstarch. Add the cornstarch mixture to the sauce and stir thoroughly. My sauce immediately thickened to the perfect consistency when I added cornstarch.
Recipe created by Me! : D