This recipe contains 4 servings of 1 lean, 1/2 green, and 1 condiment. To complete your Lean and Green meal, you’ll need to add 2 1/2 more greens. This recipe would go great with steamed broccoli or cauliflower.
- 4 chicken breast halves, thawed or fresh
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c shredded 2% part-skim mozzarella cheese
2. In a medium skillet, add the onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle with ground thyme and salt. Cook for 7 minutes. Onions should be translucent and mushrooms should be soft and brown. I stirred the mixture about half way through. I found the onions cooked fasted under the mushrooms. They also seemed to absorb the mushroom juice. Remove from heat and drain any remaining liquid.
3. On a cutting board, use a small paring knife to cut a pocket into each chicken breast. I placed my left hand on top of the breast and placed the knife along the right side of the chicken breast about an inch from the corner. Make sure your blame is parallel to the cutting board so that you don’t cut down and pierce the bottom. Start small and then widen the pocket. My pockets were about 3 inches wide and 2 inches deep.
4. Divide the mushroom mixture into 4 equal parts. Using a small spoon, stuff the mixture into the chicken. Place the stuffed chicken into the greased glass baking dish. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes, turn, and cook 15 more. You want the chicken to be golden brown but over cooked. If yours still looks under cooked, continue cooking in 5 minute increments. If you’re worried about the chicken drying out, cover the dish with foil.
Remove from oven and enjoy!
Recipe created by Me! : D