The great thing about frittatas? You get to clean out your fridge and freezer. I tossed in whatever frozen/fresh meats and veggies I could find. Toss in or substitute whatever you have.
- 1 very large or two small or medium zucchini
- 2 packets of Medifast original eggs or 1 cup of egg beaters
- 6 baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped, divided
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped, divided
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 c shredded cheddar cheese, reduced fat
- 6 oz turkey sausage
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 tsp butter
- 1 tsp salt, divided
1. In a medium skillet, add the turkey sausage and half of the rosemary and thyme. Cook over high heat until browned, stirring occasionally. Use a flat edged wooden spoon or spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces.
2. Cut off both ends of the zucchini, leave the skin, and grate the zucchini into large pieces, about the size of the potatoes in hash browns. Cut the large onion half into ¼ inch wide slices. You want the onions to be about the same width of the zucchini and the shape of crescent moons. Using your hands, separate the onion pieces from each other. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the zucchini and onions. Cook uncovered for about 7 minutes or until both veggies are soft, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, add the chopped mushrooms, the remaining half of the rosemary and thyme, the garlic powder, and ½ tsp salt. Stir to coat the mushrooms evenly in the spices. Cook over medium heat until softened and browned, about 5 minutes.
4. Very important: DO NOT STIR from this point on.
Sprinkle the turkey sausage evenly over the zucchini hash. Sprinkle the mushrooms on top of the turkey sausage. If you are using Medifast eggs, combine 2 packets and 1 cup of water in a small bowl; stir well. Pour the Medifast eggs or Egg Beaters over the fritatta mixture. Don’t just dump them in, make sure the eggs spread over the entire mixture. Use a circular motion while pouring. Sprinkle with the remaining salt and top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
5. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes. Most of the liquid should be set. Using a spatula, divide the frittata into 8 equal parts, like you would slice a pizza. Cover and cook for 5 more minutes or until all liquid is set.
The frittata should now be set and ready to serve.
Recipe created by Me! : D