This chicken salad can be eaten by itself, in a pita pocket, on sandwich bread, in a wrap, or my favorite, in a lettuce cup.
- 5 chicken breasts
- 6 slices of bacon
- 1 avocado (optional – I preferred it without), chopped into smallish pieces
- 1 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp light miracle whip
- 3 celery stalks, cut in half lengthwise then chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
1. In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium-high heat. Turn after a few minutes, once the side facing down has turned crisp. Once both sides are crisp, remove from pan and place on a plate covered in paper towels to remove the grease.
2. In the same skillet you just cooked the bacon in, add the 5 chicken breasts. Lower heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, remove all of the liquid from the pan. Continue to cook the chicken until both sides are a deep golden brown. Using a knife, cut into the largest chicken breast to ensure it is cooked all the way through. You do not want to see any pink. Remove the chicken from heat and place on a cutting board.
3. Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch thick strips, then into very small slices, almost shredding the chicken. I used a fork to hold the chicken and a paring knife to cut it. The combination worked very well. Add the chopped/shredded chicken to a large bowl. Cut up or tear – I enjoyed tearing it with my hands – the bacon into small pieces, about the side of your pinkie nail. Add to the large bowl. Add the chopped avocado, green onions, celery, and cilantro.
4. In a small bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, miracle whip, lime juice, and salt. Mix thoroughly. Add the dressing to the large bowl and stir until incorporated.
Garnish with more cilantro leaves or chives if desired.
I served mine as soon as I was done making it but it tastes even better when it sits overnight. I ate mine on leafs of iceberg lettuce, folded in half like a hot dog. Was delicious! Other likes to eat their chicken salad in spinach tortillas. They were almost as good, I just prefer to not eat grains : )
Recipe created by Me : D