For those of you who are on Medifast, I plan to remake this into a Medifast friendly recipe : )
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 (15 oz) can reduced sodium chicken stock
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, small dice
- 1/2 large onion, small dice
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Ground thyme
- Garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 425. Season both sides of the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and thyme. Rub the spices in. In a large skillet, cook the chicken over medium-high heat until brown and thoroughly cooked, about 15 – 20 minutes. Remove chicken to a cutting board. Cut into small chunks, about the size of a penny.
2. Very carefully cut several holes in the spaghetti squash. Place on a microwaveable plate, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave for 10-12 minutes. Remove from microwave and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. In the same skillet, add 1/4 cup of chicken stock to deglaze the pan. Use a flat edged spatula to coax the brown goodness off of the skillet. Add the rest of the chicken stock and the cream. Stir. Cook for 5 minutes. In a small bowl, stir the corn starch into the cold water. Add the mixture to the sauce. Simmer over medium heat for 15 – 20 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
4. In a medium skillet cook the onions and garlic over medium heat for 1 minute. Pour the mushrooms on top, do NOT stir, lower heat to low. Season with salt, thyme, and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery, stir, and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Add the chicken to the sauce. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the mushroom mixture into the sauce. You don’t want to water down the sauce by adding the mushroom juice. Stir until everything is coated in sauce.
6. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise – from tip to tip. Using a fork, remove the seeds and any tough flesh from the center. After all seeds are removed, use the fork to shred the flesh. Place the flesh in a large bowl and season with salt.
7. PAM a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish. Pour the spaghetti squash into the casserole dish and spread evenly. Pour the sauce on top and spread evenly. Top with shredded Parmesan.
Bake for 15 minutes. Let the dish sit for a few minutes before serving. Make sure you try it before you add anything extra like parsley or Parmesan on top. I think it’s already perfection!
Recipe created by Me! : D