- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 8 slices of bacon or turkey bacon
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tsp garlic paste, or minced garlic
- 1+ tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp sweet basil
- 1 tsp sage
- 1+ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 400. Wash the mushrooms then remove and discard the stems. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place the mushrooms on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and ground thyme.
2. Cut the bacon in half and cook in a medium-large skillet over medium heat until crispy, about 8 minutes. Turn half way through. Remove to a plate line with paper towels to remove excess grease. Cut or tear the bacon into small pieces.
3. Combine the bacon and the remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Stir until well integrated. Spoon 1 tsp of the stuffing into each mushroom cap. If you have left over stuffing – which you most likely will – continue to add more to the mushrooms. Some mushrooms will be bigger than others, so make sure the large caps have enough filling.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are crispy and lightly browned.
Note: Since the mushrooms have a habit of rolling around on the pan, I tried cooking them in mini cupcake tins, but the result wasn’t as tasty. They were a bit soggy since their juices were captured in the cups. To stop them from rolling, try cutting off a small amount of the top of the cap, leveling it off a little so that it sits evenly on the cookie sheet.
Created by Me! : D