- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4 cups fat free milk
- 1/2 cup shredded 2% cheddar cheese
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 16-oz package of peeled baby carrots
- 3 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower florets
1. Preheat oven to 400. Pam a glass 9 x 13 casserole dish.
2. Place a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Melt the butter. Add the cornstarch and stir until thick. Add 1/4 cup milk and whisk until integrated. Add another 1/4 cup of milk and whisk until integrated. Repeat until the rest of the milk is incorporated. Cook for 10 minutes, stir occasionally to ensure the milk does not stick to the bottom of the pan or begin to brown. If your sauce does not begin to thicken, add a mixture of 1 tbsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup of cold water. Stir, and cook for 5 more minutes. Once the sauce begins to thicken, add the cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted. Remove from heat.
3. In a large stockpot or sauce pan, add 5 cups of boiling water. Add the carrots and cook for 4 minutes. Add the broccoli and cauliflower and cook for 4 minutes. Drain the vegetables and pour the vegetables into the PAMed casserole dish. Sprinkle the diced jalapeno over the vegetables then cover with the cheese sauce.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbly and lightly browned.
Based off of the recipe found on Diabetic Living Online