Makes 10-12 bowls.
The best chicken stew you will ever taste! Simply add noodles or dumplings and you have the perfect chicken noodle soup or chicken and dumpling stew! This stew goes really well with buttered biscuits.
- 4 large carrots
- 5 large stalks of celery
- 1/2 large onion
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 5 chicken breasts
- Ground thyme
- Garlic powder
1. Trim the chicken breasts of excess fat. Season the chicken with salt, garlic powder, and ground thyme then rub the seasoning into the chicken. Repeat with the other side.
Cook the chicken over medium-high heat until both sides are golden brown and white in the center, about 7-10 minutes per side. Don’t overcrowd the pan, it takes longer to cook if you do, and they won’t brown. Remove to a cutting board and cut into thin strips then into small pieces.
2. Peel the carrots, cut in half length-wise, then cut into thin slices. Cut the ends off the celery, cut in half length-wise, then cut into thin slices. Dice the onion into small pieces. Wash and remove the stems from the mushrooms, discard the stems. Cut the mushrooms into 1/4 inch thick slices.
3. In a large stockpot, add the carrots, celery, onion, and lightly salt. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and rosemary. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
5. Stir in the chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
Based off of the recipe found on Can You Stay for Dinner?