The title doesn’t lie, this queso really is better than restaurant queso. And it’s certainly better than any store-bought queso. Try it and fall in love like I did.
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced small
- Jalapeno, seeds removed, diced small
- 3 garlic cloves
- 8 oz white American cheese, shredded (I buy a block at the deli and shred it myself)
- 6 oz Pepper Jack cheese, shredded (I buy a block and shred it myself)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 15 oz Rotel
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
1. In a medium saucepan, cook the onions and jalapenos over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Add the shredded American and Pepper Jack cheese and milk. Stir until the cheese has melted.
3. Drain the Rotel, reserve the liquid for later. Stir in the Rotel, cilantro, cumin, and chili powder. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Sprinkle with paprika and serve hot with chips. Enjoy!
If the queso is thicker than you like, add some of the Rotel liquid. The Rotel thins up the queso and adds flavor at the same time, a win-win.
The queso warms up great and can be poured into a crockpot to keep warm for a party.
Based off of the recipe found on A Cedar Spoon