- 1 pound breakfast turkey sausage
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can of reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 3 slices of whole wheat bread
- 3 slices of whole grain or seeded bread (I use Orowheat 12 Grain or Multi-Grain)
- 4-6 large eggs or 1 – 1 1/2 cups Egg Beaters
1. Preheat oven to 400. Lightly spray a 9×13 glass casserole dish with PAM. Toast the bread slices until crisp. Leaving the crust on, tear the toast into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a large skillet cook the sausage over medium-high heat until browned, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Remove the sausage to the mixing bowl.
3. In the skillet you just cooked the sausage in, add the onions, carrots, and celery. Cook over medium heat until soft, about 7-10 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the veggies and chicken stock to the mixing bowl.
5. Add the salt, Italian seasoning, thyme, and sage to the mixing bowl. Stir until combined.
6. Beat 2 eggs at time and add to the mixture. Stir until combined. If using Egg Beaters, add 1/2 cup at a time. Continue to add eggs until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
7. Pour the dressing into the casserole dish and bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Remove the dressing from the oven every 15 minutes and stir the dressing thoroughly.
Recipe created by on Me! : D