This entire recipe counts as 5 lean, 3 green, and 2 healthy fats. Feel free to double or triple the amount of spinach if you’re a spinach fan like I am. Personally, I didn’t think one 6 oz bag of spinach was enough, since it shrinks so much. This meal should be split into 4 servings of 1 chicken breast each. For a rounded Lean and Green meal, add 2 more greens.
If you’re going gluten free, make sure the cheese you use is labeled as certified gluten free.
- 6 oz bag raw spinach leaves
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (I use 2 frozen garlic squares because you don’t have to bother mincing the garlic yourself)
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground thyme
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese, reduced fat
1. Preheat oven to 400. Sprinkle 1 tsp garlic powder, salt, and ground thyme on one side of the chicken breast. PAM a 9 x 13 glass casserole dish. Place breasts seasoned side up in the casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
2. If using frozen garlic, melt the garlic squares over medium-high heat in a large skillet. If using fresh garlic, mince the garlic cloves, lightly PAM the large skillet, and cook garlic over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
3. Remove the stems from the spinach and add leaves to the skillet one hand-full at a time. The spinach reduces significantly when it wilts. Cook until all leaves are wilted, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream cheese to the wilted spinach and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
7. Gently wash the mushrooms and remove the stems. Slice the caps into 1/4 inch wide slices. Add the mushrooms to a large skillet and season with 1 tsp garlic powder, salt, and ground thyme. Cook over medium heat until browned, about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and combine with the creamed spinach.
5. Remove the chicken from the oven and flip the chicken over. Divide mushroom and spinach mixture over each chicken breast. Cover the chicken with one slice of mozzarella. Cook another 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken is cooked throughout.
Based off of the recipe found on Bacon, Butter, Cheese & Garlic