Ever wanted to make spring rolls but never knew how? No problem! I’ve included step-by-step instructions below on how to roll your own. Never purchase premade spring rolls again!
WARNING: While the spring rolls are gluten free, the hoisin and peanut dipping sauce is not gluten free. I have yet to find a gluten free hoisin sauce or substitute for hoisin sauce. It’s on my to do list though. If you find one, please let me know.
- 8oz small shrimp, cooked, deveined, tails removed
- 1 large avocado
- 1 large carrot
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 celery stalks
- Bunch of cilantro
- 1 head of butter lettuce
- Rice paper spring roll wrappers (Aisan isle at Krogers)
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp – 1 tbsp water
- Large, flat bowl of warm water
- Lime juice
1. In a small bowl, combine the hoisin sauce, peanut butter, and rice vinegar. The sauce will be very thick. Add water 1 tsp at a time until the sauce reaches your desired thickness. I decided to keep mine thick.
2. If the shrimp is frozen, empty the bag into a colander and run cold water over the shrimp while moving the shrimp around. You must use cold water, do NOT use warm or hot water. Continue moving the shrimp under the running water until all of the shrimp have thawed. This step should only take about 5 minutes. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
3. Wash and peel the carrot, cucumber, and celery. Cut the vegetables into small strips about 2 inches long and 1/8 inch wide. Set them aside. Wash the bunch of cilantro and tear off the leaves. Set aside. Remove the butter lettuce leaves from the head and gently wash them. Tear the leaves in half and set aside. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, remove the peel, and cut into small slices about 1/4 inch thick. Sprinkle with lime juice.
4. Pour warm water into a large, flat bowl. Larger bowls will make your life easier. Ideally, you want the bowl to be big enough to submerge the entire wrapper, but it’s okay if you don’t have a bowl that big – I didn’t. You will also need a plate a little smaller than the wrapper.
How to Roll a Vietnamese Spring Roll
Place the plate next to the bowl and complete the following steps in order:
1. Using your hands lower the wrapper into the bowl. Move the wrapper around in a clockwise motion to make sure every part is wet.
2. Place the now wet – but still firm – wrapper onto the plate, make sure the wrapper overlaps the plate by at least 1/2 inch.
3. Place the lettuce leaves and cilantro in the middle of the wrapper. Be sure to leave at least 1 inch at each end and do not make the filling wider than 2 inches.
4. Add the carrot, celery, cucumber, and avocado slices. Top with the shrimp.
5. The wrap will be a little sticky. Gently peel one of the ends off of the plate and fold over the wrap. Repeat with the other end. Then, fold one of the sides over to the other side, securing it to the end pieces.
6. Roll tightly towards the other side to finish the roll. It may take a few attempts to get used to the motions.
Recipe created by Me! : D