I know I’ve posted several other breakfast casserole and frittata recipes, but this is by far the best one yet. It’s a favorite with my coworkers. This recipe tastes great reheated if you want to make it ahead of time.
- 10 eggs
- 16 oz breakfast turkey sausage
- 1 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 large white onion
- 12 oz frozen shredded hash browns
- 19 oz frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- Garlic powder
- Ground thyme
1. Preheat oven to 375. Lightly PAM a glass 13 x 9 casserole dish. In a large skillet, cook the turkey sausage over medium-high heat until brown. While cooking, use a wooden spoon or spatula to break the sausage into small pieces. Remove from heat. Divide the sausage into two even parts and add to two large mixing bowls. I suggest two bowls because by the time you add the eggs, there will be so much filling that you won’t be able to stir without making a mess.
2. Slice the onion in half in the middle, not from root to tip. Slice the onion into small half circles about the width of the shredded hash browns. Melt the butter in the skillet you cooked the turkey sausage in. Add the onions and cover. Cook the onions over medium-low heat for 10 minutes. Uncover and stir. The onions should start to soften and caramelize. If they’re still firm, cover and cook for 5 more minutes.
3. Stir in the frozen hash browns. You’ll probably need to break them up with a wooden spoon. Lightly salt the hash browns and cover and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until softened and warm. Remove from heat, divide the hash brown mixture between the two bowls.
4. Gently wash the mushrooms. Keeping the stems intact, place the mushrooms on their heads and slice into 1/4 inch wide strips. Chop the slices into small pieces. Add the mushrooms to the skillet and season with salt, garlic powder, and ground thyme. Cook over medium-low heat until browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and divide between the two bowls.
5. Place the broccoli in a microwaveable dish. Add 1 tbsp water and microwave 5 minutes or until cooked but still a little firm. Remove the broccoli from the microwave and drain the excess water. Cut the broccoli into pieces about the same size as the mushrooms. Divide the broccoli between the two bowls.
6. Stir 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese into each bowl. Crack 5 eggs into each bowl and stir until wet. Pour both bowls into the casserole dish. They should both be able to fit in the same dish with room to spare.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cut into squares. I usually bake this casserole for breakfast parties at work, so I make the squares about 2 x 2, though you can make the pieces and large or as small as you want. Place back in the oven and cook for 15 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
Serve hot or refrigerate when cool and reheat later. This recipe microwaves great!
Created by Me! : D